I wanted a salad that would taste like summer and pop with flavour in every bite. This one really fit the bill! It combines salty and sweet, juicy and crunchy, zesty and a wee bit of richness. I loved the contrasts in texture and in flavour, especially the tangy dressing and the sweet nectarines.
Nectarine and Prosciutto Salad
Makes two hearty servings
- romaine or green leaf lettuce (I used some of each)
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 3 slices of prosciutto made into “porkitos” (e.g. crisped up in the oven)
- 2 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 2 nectarines, grilled and chopped, still warm (see below)
For the dressing:
- 3 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- a couple of big pinches of oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
Cut the nectarines in half and remove the stone. Brush with olive oil and grill for about 5-7 minutes. Toss all the salad ingredients in one or two bowls and drizzle with the dressing.
I served this salad with Greek-spiced grilled pork chops. The feta could be skipped or substituted if you don’t do dairy. I might try it with peaches or even melon in the future.
Fun tasting note – as we were eating my husband remarked that the flavours of this salad reminded him of a Hawaiian pizza. As soon as he said it, I could taste the hints too. It’s that magic salty/sweet combo.